Skip to main content

Seven things doing a 1000 piece puzzle has common with complex engineering projects

I was doing grocery shopping during the New Year holidays and the store had a lot of 1000 piece puzzle on sale for $11. My son had never done more than 100 pieces and  I was like hey this seems interesting for him, so I bought one. We started working it on Jan13th and finished between 4 people on Jan25th. During the journey of finishing I saw a lot of similarities with complex engineering projects. I think everyone in engineering should do one of these and here are some of the things I learned.


  1. Underestimating the task: I grossly underestimated the task and amount of time it would take for my son to do it.
  2. Teamwork: After a day or two I realized my son lost interest, the whole family had to be involved to keep him motivated on it.
  3. Prep work: Like engineering projects, you need to do a lot of prep work like:
    1. Turn  the pieces down 
    2. Study the patterns
    3. Sort the pieces
  4. Divide and rule: Like engineering projects you need to pick some quick wins initially to get off the ground and start assigning tasks to team members. In our case, I focused first on building the frame by finding corner pieces whereas other members picked up some unique buildings or landmarks in the puzzle.
  5. Uncertainties: Like software projects, unforseen things can come and derail you, in our case, my wife had to go out of town for a week for school and my son became sick with fever for 3 days.
  6. Tenacity and Persistence: Every project needs a driver who would carry on regardless of how monumental the task is and one who keeps inching towards the deadline. Once you build momentum, puzzles like engineering projects have a snowball effect and the first 50% took 80% of the time but the last 50% went fast because pieces were reduced and when members saw that it's getting close, everyone got excited and put in extra efforts to finish it.
  7. The joy of finishing it: Like complex engineering project seeing something going live is a feeling that can't be expressed in words but can only be experienced by going through the grind.
Here are some pictures of the process and I recommend others to go through this, it's a great tool to increase family bonding and have some time off from tech like TV and distraction from work on the weekend.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adventures of a nature lover - 5 national parks in 14 days

To unplug from work and recharge myself I do a 2-3 week trip every year where I am unplugged. Few of the reasons I can totally unplug from work is Unlimited Vacation policy of Egnyte,  Excellent support by the Infrastructure team  Our ethos of pro-actively fixing issues before they become nuisance. TLDR; It's a long post so you can scroll down and first see see images if you need motivation to read it entirely. Me and my family like national parks and camping to recharge us as there is no cell phone  coverage in parks and you are completely unplugged from technology most of the times. We have done many of the national parks nearby and this year we want to see glacier national park as the glaciers may disappear in 10-15 years so see them before they are gone. Behind every successful trip is a "Trip planner" and for our family its my wife, she researched  and made a trip itinerary book. She booked camp sites 6 months in advance She researched trails and

IPhone will beat DSLR in long run

I started taking interest in photography recently and have accumulated a decent amount of gear but I am realizing that the ease of taking out your phone and clicking picture will beat the DSLR in long run. A friend recently visited me from NY and we wanted to take a family picture and I was setting up Tripod and Flash and doing settings changes and he was like leave all this, lets take a Selfie and that’s it, in 2 second the picture was done and he shared it on facebook in another 1 second.  Now one can argue that DSLR would have clicked a better picture but DSLR has many things going against it:- Learning curve : I must have spent 200+hours on reading about photography but still cant take decent pictures as my bar is high. Not everyone is interested in spending this much time. Amount of gear to be carried : On hikes its a pain to carry your DSLR whereas your phone has to be anyway with you. Cognitive effort of tweaking the gear: You have to have a different lens/settings for diffe

Embracing "Deep Work" for productivity

Do you have that feeling where you worked all day but at the end it feels like you got nothing done?  In past 7 years at Egnyte to reduce burnout every 6 months to an year I have to fight this constant productivity battle. I have accumulated several habits in the process to increase productivity, some of them are:- Give yourself scheduled time: Allocate 3 hours for creative work, I had my calendar open whole day and I would get interviews and meeting scheduled randomly all over the day. When you are on a maker's schedule this is disastrous. I recently allocated 3 hours of calendar time and I reject meeting invite unless its absolutely urgent and I am contributing to it. Walk in middle of the day: by the middle of the day brain feels tired and I cant code or focus so I started 30 min walk. I tried listening to podcast or listening music on the walk but that felt more work so I stopped doing it. I just walk and think on the current problem on hand. 5 minute rule: If you can finis